The following lists contain resources which may be of interest to parents. This information is provided for the benefit of our families, and ClearWater Academy is not directly responsible for the content of these resources.
- The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children by Ross W. Greene, Ph.D.
- Lost at School by Ross W. Greene, Ph.D.
- The Brain that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge, M.D.
- The Horse Boy by Rupert Isaacson
- The Out-of-Sync Child by Carol Kranowitcz
- Made for Good Purpose by Michael McManmon, subtitled What Every Parent Needs to Know to Help Their Adolescent with Asperger’s, High Functioning Autism or a Learning Difference Become an Independent Adult
- Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger’s by John Elder Robison
- Born On A Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant by Daniel Tammet
- Just Give Him the Whale!: 20 Ways to Use Fascinations, Areas of Expertise, and Strengths to Support Students with Autism by Paula Kluth and Patrick Schwarz
- Georgia Accrediting Commission
- SRA Number Worlds, our primary math curriculum – used in combination with supplemental materials as necessary
- RAVE-O, our reading curriculum
- Orton-Gillingham Approach, strategies to help with reading comprehension and decoding
- Specialized Program Individualizing Reading Excellence (SPIRE), strategies to help with reading comprehension and decoding
- Seeing Stars, strategies to help with reading and spelling
- About.com: Parenting a Special Needs Child
- DrBhargave.com: Board certified psychiatrist and dynamic speaker, Dr. Suvrat Bhargave, shares his insights on anxiety in children.
- Cerebral Palsy Group
Scholarships and Financial Resources
- Georgia Department of Education’s page on the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship (SB 10)
- Georgia Student Scholarship Organization
- National Association of Independent Schools
Social and Emotional Development
- The Power of Morning Meeting, an article published by Responsive Classroom
- Research Links “Responsive” Teaching to Academic Gains, an article by Education Week
- Collaborative and Proactive Solutions – an article by Lives in the Balance, Dr. Ross Greene’s non-profit organization dedicated to advancing special-needs education